What is a protective hairstyle?
These are hairstyles that are able to protect your hair for several weeks. These hairstyles limit the manipulation of natural hair and to protect the hair from external aggressions (cold, sun, pollution) but also against friction of the ears, scarves, sheets ...
The advantages of a protective hairstyle
- Save time: Protective hairstyles require little maintenance: they require very little action to maintain their beauty
- Avoid breakage: The hair being locked up, there is less tangling, and this allows to avoid breakage
- Change haircuts regularly: The choice in terms of protective hairstyles is wide so you can change haircuts regularly
Some examples of protective hairstyles
When it comes to protective hairstyles, there are several options available to. You can choose for example:
- Braids, Senegalese twist : On natural hair or with extensions. It is the most common protective hairstyle. They protect lengths and hydrate easily.
- Turbans / Head Wraps: they revive our look and protect our hair in case of cold winds in particular
- Cornrows: these hairstyles are easy to make and it is a very light hairstyle to wear.
- Wigs: perfect for having fun with colors and textures without damaging your natural hair. Indeed, it is no secret: multiplying the colorings, brushing and patches is not good for the scalp. Find our tips to better choose your wig.
The use of extension for these protective hairstyles
Protective hairstyles can be made in natural or synthetic hair.
- The advantage of adding extensions is that it allows more fantasies and freedom in terms of hairstyle. In winter, extensions keep your head warm.
- The downside is that if the extensions are improperly installed, it can cause difficulty cleaning your hair or even worse, cause hair loss. In addition, wearing extensions in summer can be stuffy.
- In addition, you must still pay attention to the traction alopecia that can be caused by this type of hairstyle. Protective hairstyles can pull the hair and it is this tensioning that creates hair loss.
Care for a protective hairstyle
Even if the hair is locked in during this hairstyle, it continues to live. It is therefore important to continue feeding it.
Before making your protective hairstyle it will be important to perform a treatment, a step that is often overlooked. This will prepare the hair for handling. They will therefore be stronger and ready for the styling stage of your curly hair.
You will also need to continue your usual hair care routine throughout the period when you are going to wear your protective hairstyle. It will be necessary to add the use of a moisturizing and nourishing spray to avoid breakage and hair loss, once this protective hairstyle
3 weeks maximum afterwards, we recommend that you undo your protective hairstyle and moisten your hair and add oil to it, this will nourish the hair and prepare it for shampoo.
Some rest time is great but finding your natural hair is super fun!
Add to favourites